hi all, it was not a pretty picture (to say the least, honestly, it was outrageous) with bloody david dao dragged off an airplane in full view of social media. he is said to have concussion, lost teeth, and needed surgery. united refunded all passengers. the airline released a statement about "reaccommodating" the passengers. it looks like our entire country got "reaccommodated" the last decade or so esp after 911. and isnt it "fortunate" for us all some passengers were around to film the whole thing and turn it into an international incident, without the police or airline confiscating their cell phones.
ok, dont think this is a one-sided story. he seems to have an authority problem. contrary to all the ranting elsewhere, think no passenger has a "right" to fly on an airplane. if the police come for you, be happy to take the $800 and walk off peacefully. the word is "cooperation". sometimes the only cooperation is to accede to authority.
hey, theres a long history here. in the 1980s there was a lot of anger against criminals. they were the Enemy/ Scapegoat du Jour. sort of like immigrants/ muslims/ mexicans/ chinese (or whatever) today. its always a moving target. anyway Reagan seemed to begin a "get tough/ crackdown on crime" posture that helped get him elected, and the public seemed to approve. heavyhanded tactics were in. harsher sentences.
now our jails are crammed, the largest in the world, and its costs massive $$$ ... its a huge boondoggle for private industry. have blogged on this years ago, but hey, it just keeps getting better as they say.
anyway its a moment to unload all my recent links on the subj. a cyber candle in the darkness, or a blog post in the ocean.
United promises they arent gonna call the police again to remove unruly passengers. yeah right! look, its a systemic problem. we live in a police state and the police show up all the time. a little )( PR statement from a multibilliondollar corp is not gonna change it all that soon.
it does seem like some positive way of looking at this is that in the cyber age, the Police State has to constantly watch its back, and cannot get away with unmitigated brutality... "as much"...
am still waiting for the pendulum to swing some other way. obamas Justice dept announcement that they would end private prison system was a rather incredible moment, verging on coup, but will have to see how it plays out; not sure if it will really "stick"/ materialize Under New Management as they say. this is one of those Very Long Pendulums. as in—maybe will see it go some other direction before dying. or maybe not.
hope to hear from you on your own opinions on all this.
a. force/ overreaction/ overreach
- 1. David Dao, Dragged United Passenger, Suffered Broken Nose, Missing Teeth, Lawyer Says | The Huffington Post
- 2. Flying the Bloody Skies | Alternet
- 3. Unlike Walter Scott's Horrific Killing, Deaths By Police Are Rarely Recorded -- They're Not Even Counted by the Government | Alternet
- 4. The Murder of an Unarmed Black Man By a South Carolina Cop Is Part of a Long, Sick American Tradition | Alternet
- 5. How Will White Conservatives Defend the Killer Cop Who Shot Walter Scott? | Alternet
- 6. Media Had Already Bought Police's Fantasy Version of Walter Scott Killing Before Video Surfaced | Alternet
- 7. 10 Years Before Freddie Gray, Baltimore Police ‘Accidentally’ Snapped a Perp’s Spine - The Daily Beast
- 8. How a SWAT Team Upended My Baby’s Life — and Got Away with It | Alternet
- 9. Police's Aggressive Use of Flashbangs Has Yielded Tragic Results | Alternet
- 10. Why Police Brutality Is So Hard to End—And What It Will Take to Stop It | Alternet
- 11. The Killing of Unarmed Black Men Is Hurting America’s Image Abroad - The Daily Beast
- 12. 37 Years in Solitary Confinement and Even the State Can’t Explain Why - The Daily Beast
- 13. Boulder cops declare ‘rock stacking’ a jailable offense to stop local artist who spent 7 years creating sculptures
- 14. Bloodied UVa Student Martese Johnson Is Left to Ask: ‘How Did This Happen?’ - The Daily Beast
- 15. Why Don't The Feds Prosecute Police Brutality Cases? | Alternet
- 16. Long Beach police shoot, wound man after reports of trespassing, graffiti - LA Times
- 17. The Police Are Still Out of Control - Frank Serpico - POLITICO Magazine
- 18. The Overcriminalization of America - Charles G. Koch and Mark V. Holden - POLITICO Magazine
- 19. Online ‘Swatting’ Becomes a Hazard for Popular Video Gamers and Police Responders - NYTimes.com
- 20. Torture and Police Killings Cut From the Same Cloth of Injustice | Will Bunch
- 21. » Illinois judge rules police entitled to Swat raid over parody Twitter account Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
- 22. The Art of Running from the Police : Longreads Blog
- 23. UN Condemns U.S. Police Brutality, Calls For 'Stand Your Ground' Review
- 24. We're Spending Billions to Support the Most Corrupt, Abusive Arm of Law Enforcement | Alternet
b. search/ seizure
- 1. Could You Be the Next Innocent American to Have Your Bank Account Seized by the Government? | Alternet
- 2. Law Lets I.R.S. Seize Accounts on Suspicion, No Crime Required - NYTimes.com
- 3. DEA regularly mines Americans' travel records to seize millions in cash
- 4. Baton Rouge Police Took Alton Sterling Surveillance Video Without a Warrant or Permission - The Daily Beast
- 5. Facebook ‘glitch’ that deleted the Philando Castile shooting vid: It was the police – sources • The Register
- 1. » School Cops Across Texas Receiving Surplus Military Gear Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
- 2. » San Diego School Police Given Mine-Resistant Military Vehicle By Pentagon Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
- 3. Why Does My Kids’ Elementary School Need a Tank? - The Daily Beast
- 4. Can Killer Drones Stop School Shootings? - The Daily Beast
- 5. California School Cops Received Military Rifles, Grenade Launchers, Armored Vehicles
- 6. This Is What Happens When We Lock Children in Solitary Confinement | Mother Jones
- 1. American cops borrow armored vehicles from the military that can withstand mine blasts to combat cannabis amid fears they are turning cities into war zones | Daily Mail Online
- 2. How Militarized Police Are Turning American Communities Into War Zones, Death by Death | Alternet
- 3. Police Are Using Tragedies in Dallas and Orlando to Demand More Militarized Weapons | Alternet
- 4. Shocker: Military Insiders and War Profiteers Will Be Reviewing the Horrendous Private Immigration Prisons for Homeland Security | Alternet
- 5. Police Continue Militarization Amid Disarmament of Citizens
- 6. WATCH: Stephen Colbert's Brilliant Takedown of Police Militarization | Alternet
- 7. Shocking: Obama to Disarm – Demilitarize Police | Veterans Today
- 8. The Making of the Warrior Cop | Mother Jones
- 9. Oops! Police Claim They Have 'No Idea' Where Those Military-Grade Guns Are | Alternet
- 10. Military hardware still flowing to local police after Ferguson - Washington Times
- 1. » U.S. Army Report Urges Preparations For Troops to Occupy NYC, Other “Megacities” Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
- 2. Hard to Believe: Police are Treating Protest Movements Like They are Terrorists | Alternet
- 3. Police's Latest Horrifying Anti-Protest Weapon | Alternet
- 4. » Why The Banking Elite Want Riots in America Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
- 5. » Document: Army Preparing to Use Lethal Force Against “Unarmed Civilians” During “Full Scale Riots” in U.S. Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
- 6. Police-Provoked Violence At Protests Is As Predictable As It Is Avoidable, New Research Finds | Alternet
- 7. Occupy Wall Street protesters arrested for giving the middle finger to New York cops | Daily Mail Online
- 8. ARMED Texas vigilantes with cameras confronting police on the street | Daily Mail Online
- 1. In America, mass incarceration has caused more crime than it’s prevented - Quartz
- 2. My Four Months as a Private Prison Guard: A Mother Jones Investigation | Mother Jones
- 3. Immigration Officials Making Secret Deals With Private Prisons to Lock Up More Mothers and Children | Alternet
- 4. What You Need to Know About the DOJ's Claim It Is Ending Private Prisons | Alternet
- 5. What You Need to Know About the Private Prison Phase-Out | Alternet
- 6. Is This the Beginning of the End for the Private Prison Industry? | Alternet
- 7. There's a Monster Loophole in the Feds' Move to Stop Working With Private Prisons | Alternet
- 8. The Full Cost Of Incarceration In The U.S. Is Over $1 Trillion, Study Finds | Huffington Post
- 9. [Report] | Captive Market, by Michael Ames | Harper's Magazine
g. police state
- 1. America's Authoritarian Police Violently Enforce 1%'s Rule | Alternet
- 2. America Has Become One Giant Prison | Alternet
- 3. » The Police State Is Upon Us Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
- 4. The disappeared: Chicago police detain Americans at abuse-laden 'black site' | US news | The Guardian
- 5. 9 Events Which Created the Environment for America's Emerging Police State | Alternet
- 6. Feds balk at court’s order to explain no-fly list selection process | Ars Technica
- 7. Copspeak: 7 Ways Journalists Use Police Jargon to Obscure the Truth | Alternet
- 8. Donald Trump's Coming Police State: We Have a President Who Wants Unlimited Power and Won't Respect the Rule of Law | Alternet
- 9. How Oakland Almost Became an Orwellian Surveillance City—and Citizens Stopped It From Happening | Alternet
- 10. Is America a Police State? For Many, Yes - The Daily Beast
- 11. Eyes Over Compton: How Police Spied on a Whole City - Conor Friedersdorf - The Atlantic
- 12. » Former Philly Police Captain: Cops Are Mercenaries for Corporations Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
- 13. The Truth About Who Is Really Responsible for Our Current Police and Prison State | Alternet
- 14. The True History of the Origins of Police -- Protecting and Serving the Masters of Society | Alternet
- 15. How the Local Police State is Caused by the Federal Government | Tenth Amendment Center
- 16. » TSA Demands Internal Passport for Domestic Travel Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!