No single, small set of facts about guns will be dispositive in our renewed, ongoing national debate. Still, it's useful to get out there what is known. I invite you to add to these no matter how you see the arguments, no matter what policies/laws you'd like to see (if any). The list is (paraphrased) from www.upworthy.com. The charts are from the FBI.
You may have other sources you'd like to share in comments or in pieces of your own.
1. On average, 31.5 Americans are killed daily with guns.
2. At current rates, 46,000 Americans will be killed with guns during Mr. Obama's second term.
3. As a result of the gun-show and online loopholes, 40% of the guns sold in the United States each year are sold through private sellers not required to do any state or federal background checks on buyers.
4. 62% of online gun sellers agreed to sell guns to people whom they say could not likely pass a background check.
5. 80% of those imprisoned for gun-related crimes say they got their gun(s) from secondary-market, unlicensed sellers.
6. Under current federal law, the penalty for illegally trafficking in guns without brandishing or discharging them is the same for illegally selling livestock.
7. Since 1992, there have been 61 mass-shootings in our country; in 49 of them (80%) the gun(s) were obtained legally.
8. Among the top twenty-three highest income countries, the United States accounts for 80% of firearm deaths.
9. The United States firearm homicide rate is 19.5 times higher than those in the other top-income countries.
10. 82% of United States gun owners (including 74% of NRA members) support requiring background checks for anyone buying a gun.