hi all, have had to learn far more about narcissism than would want to due to a personal situation. but this election has thrust it into collective consciousness. it looks like we will have a new pres in less than 2wk, and am betting that the "narcissistic one" is going to lose. oops! rats! both candidates seem to have some of that quality. but one in particular, the One Who Shall Remain Nameless, is a little more "full" of that quality than the other.
am hoping after this election we can put it all behind us. suspecting it will take a long time to heal after all the commotion. but maybe a new crisis will arise shortly to deflect/ distract us.
have written about narcissism over the years eg over at open salon. its a fascinating topic that has a lot of new research and writing. it also ties in heavily with the cyber angle. there was a lot of alarm when social media was new about narcissism connected with it. we seem to have gotten over some of those fears but some remain, and with good reason. lately it looks to me like humanity is mostly figuring out how to use cyber/ social media in a productive way. but we should all be aware of the pitfalls, dangers, traps.
open salon was a bit more conducive to some narcissistic types. this site has a much lower profile and dont see it as much.
theres lots of great material/ wisdom here for anyone struggling with the same topic.
as some have pointed out the original story of Narcissus also included Echo (somewhat substantially less well known/ notorious), who had little personality and could only repeat what was said by someone else. this is the yin-yang balance that the ancient legend alludes to. those old greeks (2k yrs old!) sure had a lot of insight and wisdom didnt they? clearly in their old legends we see the early origins/ birth of human psychology/ sociology. esp into its dark side so to speak.
have been reading Victor Frankl lately & a book on logotherapy. what a great ideology. he believed that entire cultures could be "disordered". he would know, he lived thru WWII/ nazi concentration camps. maybe there are less extreme forms of the collective pathologies that were seen from that era. few psychologists/ sociologists other experts seem to grasp this. its like the fish in the water phenomenon and not noticing (or being able to notice) whether its dirty or not. (wrt this [a21] is compelling!) ... George Simon is a notable therapist who has studied character disorder in depth and come to new insights not fitting in with classic freudian analysis/ therapy style.
- 1. Are Narcissists Better at Reading Minds? | Psychology Today
- 2. How to Spot a Narcissist | Psychology Today
- 3. Narcissistic Personality Inventory - Psych Central
- 4. The Narcissist Next Door: Understanding the Monster in Your Family, in Your Office, in Your Bedin Your World: Jeffrey Kluger: 9781594486364: Amazon.com: Books
- 5. The Narcissist's Dilemma: They Can Dish It Out, But . . . | Psychology Today
- 6. The One Question That Can Identify A Narcissist
- 7. This Is How You Become Unattractive And You're Not Aware of It
- 8. What Is It About Narcissism That Almost Everyone Doesn't Understand? | Alternet
- 9. What We Can Learn About Our Own Lives From Celebrity Narcissism | Dr. Peggy Drexler
- 10. Has Travel Become Another Exercise in Narcissism? — Human Parts — Medium
- 11. Joan Collins' son says 'I felt abandoned by mum the narcissist' | Daily Mail Online
- 12. Why Do We Reward Men and Punish Women for Narcissism? | Alternet
- 13. Talking About Yourself A Lot Doesn't Make You A Narcissist, Apparently
- 14. Study: Parents may be to blame for narcissistic kids - CNN.com
- 15. The One Sign Of Narcissism That's Actually All Wrong
- 16. Being An Adult Child Of A Narcissist | Michelle Combs
- 17. John Mayer admits that he is a recovered ego addict | Daily Mail Online
- 18. Are YOU a narcissist? Take this test to discover if you have an out-sized ego | Daily Mail Online
- 19. What kind of narcissist are YOU? Take the test that reveals if you're a sufferer as experts reveal there are three forms of the disorder | Daily Mail Online
- 20. The Secret To Spotting Subtle Narcissists
- 21. Study: The world views Americans as narcissists -- and so do other Americans
- 22. The Surprising Reasons Women Get Hooked on Narcissists | Alternet
- 23. How Narcissism Hurts Us All | Alternet
- 24. Why Does Our Society Celebrate Sociopathic, Narcissistic and Toxic Masculine Traits? | Alternet
- 25. Research finds managers recruited to top jobs are narcissists | Mail Online
- 1. 18 Signs You're Dealing With A Narcissist
- 2. 5 Surefire Signs Someone You Care About Is A Narcissist | Sharon Greenthal
- 3. 5 Things You Didn't Know About Healthy Narcissism | Elizabeth Lunbeck
- 4. 6 Signs of Narcissism You May Not Know About | Psychology Today
- 5. 9 Enlightening Quotes on Narcissists—and Why | Psychology Today
- 6. 6 Warning Signs You're Dating a Narcissist | Divorced Moms
- 7. 5 Signs You're Experiencing Narcissistic Whiplash | Divorced Moms
- 8. 9 Signs You're In Love With A Narcissist
- 9. 6 Signs You Were Raised By A Narcissist
- 10. 20 Glaring Signs You Are Married To a Narcissist
- 11. Dr. Craig Malkin: 5 Early Warning Signs You're With a Narcissist
- 12. Is Your Partner a Narcissist? Here Are 50 Ways to Tell. | Psychology Today
- 1. The Narcissist in Chief - The New York Times
- 2. Is Donald Trump A Narcissist -- Or A Bully? Here's What Psychologists Say
- 3. A Neuroscientist Explains: Trump Has a Mental Disorder That Makes Him a Dangerous World Leader | Alternet
- 4. Is Donald Trump Actually a Narcissist? Therapists Weigh In! | Vanity Fair
- 5. Science Proves the Donald Is a Textbook Narcissist | Alternet
- 6. Hey Hillary Clinton: Here’s How To Debate a Narcissist - The Daily Beast
- 7. What the Narcissists Have Done to Our Jobs and Health | Alternet
- 8. Cults of Personality: Power, Narcissism and Delusions | Global Research
- 1. Does Facebook Really Make Us Narcissistic? (NEW BOOK)
- 2. Social Media Dependency Has Become a Mental Health Issue | Alternet
- 3. Social Media: A Narcissist's Virtual Playground | Vivian Diller, Ph.D.